Riding light – Toolkit

Adventure enduro is a holistic discipline. It revolves through the same cycles of preparation, riding and planning the next adventure. Throughout the process, the bike, riding gear and other equipment are continuously perfected. Each day of riding gives more insight; equipment either works or it needs to be rethought. High quality gear, that performs reliably under extreme conditions, is of paramount importance in running successful expeditions.

THE BARE NECESSITIES

Toolkits are as varied as the riders who carry them. Looking into the matter a few years back, the scale stretched from an adventure enduro dude cutting and welding spanners together to a RTW guy insisting on carrying all tools for a full engine rebuild. Needless to say my views are closer to the former gentleman and that the latter fellow probably needs a reality check, a more reliable bike or both.

My philosophy with all gear is to ride as light as possible and bring only the bare necessities. The real question, however, is how to define “necessities”. Unsurprisingly the answers are as diverse as the riders. For me, a necessity is a piece of equipment that needs to be onboard to ensure the continuation of the ride in the event of a failure. This applies rigidly to all tools and spare parts. So a spare fuel pump, throttle cables and e.g. a shifter pedal are necessities, but a spare headlight bulb or a brake pedal aren’t. However the likelihood of a specific catastrophic malfunction also plays into the equation of defining a necessity. The probability of a fuel pump failure crosses the line but a cracked cylinder head doesn’t, so only the former is carried. The definition of necessities affects what spare parts are carried, which in turns specifies what tools are needed.

Another thing to consider is what work you should actually be prepared to do in the field. To continue riding, a toasted clutch will have to be replaced and a flat tire fixed on the field. On the the hand, normal scheduled and non-critical service such as valve adjustment, oil changes and replacing wheel bearings are better left for friendlier environments, where you can find bigger and perhaps more special tools and avoid having to carry them. This streamlines the toolkit and also reduces the risk of potentially harmful engine contamination by airborne debris. On the 500 EXC a good example is valve adjustment; the valve cover needs to be off for a while and the breather hose clamp is a right bitch to get back on without a large flat head screwdriver or the official clamp pliers. Both tools are large, heavy and needed for one thing only, so I don’t carry them. Instead I do that kind of work at roadside garages, which are plentiful in most parts of the world and in most cases welcome foreigners on adventure enduro bikes with open arms.

THE TOOL ROLL

The toolkit is absolutely essential for continuing the ride in the event of a failure, and without it spare parts are useless. Therefore the toolkit must never be put into a position where it can be lost during the ride. Storing it into a pannier is less risky than say a bolt-on tool tube on the frame of the bike.

All my stuff currently rides in a cheap tool roll I found on eBay and modified to carry what I need. Basically I just opened up the stitches between some of the slots to make room for my electronic multimeter and chain tool. I also made some Cordura pouches to organize and carry tool bits, 1/4″ and 3/8″ sockets and adapters. They have velcro closures and another velcro to secure them onto the tool roll while giving easy access to the tools. The tool roll came quipped with ridiculously long and dodgy webbing for closing it. I replaced them with heavy duty bungee cords to secure the tool roll when it’s closed. I find the smallest irritations can snowball into monsters on the trail, so it’s better to snip them in the bud if you can. In this case it meant running some extra stitching across the tool slots to have them sit at the correct height and thus avoid ever having to fish for the tools in the field.

I’ve been very strict with never carrying any fluids inside my panniers. With the ultralight setup I decided to break this rule; the tool roll contains thread locker, grease, adhesive, tyre powder etc. They are nasty substances and carry a risk of contaminating camping gear if there is damage to the containers. The way I see it though is that in the field it’s better to have all necessary tools and consumables in one place and easily accessible, instead of several locations around the bike. It’s a real nuisance and risk having to dig around your panniers for a puncture kit when the bike is propped up on a dodgy pile of rocks and the rear wheel is already off. Anyhow, all fluids and powders are double bagged in 90 μm heavy duty zip lock bags and are inside the zippered compartment of the tool roll, which rides at a 45 degree angle at the bottom of my left hand side 15 litre pannier. So in the unlikely event of a container bursting and the liquid running through two plastic barriers and the tool roll, it should end up in the bottom of the pannier without contaminating anything. As a precaution though, I’ve made ultralight waterproof pouches for all my camping gear and will do so also for the tool roll.

Anyhow, the tool roll is not pretty, but it’s functional and very affordable. The life of a tool roll is rather grueling as it spends its time either laid out on dirt or mud or suffers from constant abrasion, greasy tools and oily hands. So I don’t mind the ghetto look. The biggest issue I have with the tool roll is its weight; 382 g including the pouches when empty. That is a lot for a minimalist and I’m currently looking into making an ultralight version with light materials on the inside and maybe just a thin waterproof Cordura on the back.

WHAT’S IN THE ROLL

• Tape, gaffer, 1 pcs, 36 g
  • Tyre powder 50 ml, 1 pcs, 44 g
  • Fuse 10 A, 1 pcs, 3 g
  • Fuse 7.5 A, 1 pcs, 3 g

Total weight 2.63 kg

relentless

The contents may leave a bit of questions and some may scoff at the extensive lineup being called minimal. The obvious thing is the monstrously large and heavy Leatherman SuperTool, but the thing is that it actually lives in my CamelBak, rather than inside the toolkit. It’s actually pretty handy since it negates the necessity to carry a file, needle nose pliers and a blade, and it’s also quickly accessible for the small odd jobs one needs to deal with every now and then. Another one is the the fact that I carry 1/2″ sockets instead of 3/8″ which would fit directly on the MotionPro T-6  3/8″ socket adapter. The reason is that adding the 3/8″-1/2″ adapter between the socket and the spanner gives just enough clearance to comfortably work on the front sprocket bolt. Additionally the point of carrying the 3/8″ to 1/4″ adapter is to have a little bit of redundancy in case the 1/4″ ratchet breaks or if something needs a bit more leverage to open.

As stated earlier, equipment is a journey of continuous improvement, and this toolkit is far from perfect. For one it’s too heavy, both in terms of the containers and certain tools. The chain tool is very heavy for what it does and I’m looking into replacing it with a Motion Pro Light Weight Chain Breaker and Chain Press Tool, which will also work for pressing the slide plates on the chain links.

One thing I’m sometimes missing is locking adjustable pliers, but so far I have not been able to justify the added weight. An option would be to sacrifice the Leatherman SuperTool for the pliers, but I’d then need to add a few more tools to make up for the gap, and the weight might eventually go up. Ideally I’d like to get the toolkit and consumables to below 2 kg.

All comments, suggestions and criticism is most welcome. Conversation and debate, even heated, will improve us all.

By | 2018-08-27T19:13:33+00:00 January 14th, 2017|Gear, KTM 500 EXC K16|42 Comments

42 Comments

1. Marcus January 14, 2017 at 20:12 - Reply

That’s a really good article and a thoughtful approach to a universal dilema. I almost feel embarrassed to have some of the things I take in my toll roll and there are a few things you’ve listed that I’m going to add. Whatever you take, the question still remains as to whether you could actually fix the bike even if you had the tools! A bead buddy and patches are great to fix a puncture, but if you’re on your todd like I was today and really don’t fancy taking the rear wheel out in the middle of a forest and are happy to ride to a village with the tyre flat, you’re just adding weight! Cheers anyway!

The Rolling Hobo January 14, 2017 at 20:40 - Reply

Everything with bikes is an evolution I suppose and we’ve all gone the same route of too much gear. I fully agree with what you’re saying about what you could actually fix with what you have. Some things are nice and simple in the workshop but get pretty miserable and tricky in the field if the weather and terrain aren’t cooperating and you’re worn from the riding.

2. wanderbond January 14, 2017 at 23:01 - Reply

Great article! I was just about to build a new toolkit and you saved me some research. Cheers!

The Rolling Hobo January 15, 2017 at 11:35 - Reply

Thanks! Do let us know what your final kit ends up consisting of…

3. Motorrat January 15, 2017 at 04:02 - Reply

the blue MP insert is also can act as a 1/4″ to 3/8″ adapter.

The Rolling Hobo January 15, 2017 at 11:34 - Reply

Hiya bud, thanks for the tip. I’d actually never noticed it before. It’ll be handy for using the 1/4″ ratchet on the 1/2″ sockets…

4. Christian January 15, 2017 at 20:27 - Reply

Hi Jussi…

Good to see you are ever and ever optimising.

I carry similar of tools although I use a strap that I carry anyway for multiple purposes instead of a bead buddy, I have fever bits, and I updgraded the motion pro chain tool to a heavier more heavy duty variant as I repeatedly broke the aluminium inserts on the motion pro version.

My tool roll comes in at 2.5kg…well…now it comes in at 0kg because that and all of my luggage including panniers, spare parts, leatt brace, camping gear etc was stolen in a private garage in a Auckland NZ. But that’s a different story.

Needless to say that I on my RTW (1/2) carried more spare parts. But also there a lesson learned as literally everything was somehow fixable along the way (including rebuilding the starter in Kazakhstan) except for the rear shock which I had to replace. So on my hopefully second part of my ride I will repack considerably.

Safe riding!

The Rolling Hobo January 15, 2017 at 21:04 - Reply

Damn! Sorry to hear about you losing your gear in NZ! The bike’s still safe though, right?

I’ve changed tires without the Bead Buddy or the trail version. It just gives a little more room to take your time and see better into the rim to make sure the tube doesn’t get pinched. That’s my reason for carrying it, plus the trail version is very light…

When are you headed out for part two?

I’ve been dreaming of a Moroccan getaway at some point. At the end of the year perhaps, unless I’m done after Crimson 17 🙂 Anyhow, let me knwo if you’re around and interested in joining in….

• David April 9, 2017 at 08:07 - Reply

As a New Zealander I’m embarrassed that your gear was stolen. I ride a 690R and have found that a simple yet robust tool belt (OGIO MX450) keeps things close and readily available. Not sure whether it is a tool or a spare, but I always carry metal putty. A cracked crankcase or broken lever can be repaired enough to get you out of trouble. Also I never leave home without a clutch lever or two…broke 2 in 2 hours once, even with the factory barkbusters which are plastic rubbish (and will soon be replaced).

5. Rick Wetzel January 15, 2017 at 20:44 - Reply

Good article!
    My only comments otherwise, is loose the lock-tite, unless your doing some real mechanic-ing, its unneeded.
    Roll the electrical tape around a 1/4″ wood or aluminum rod (and gorilla tape too) it saves a ton of space.
    And lastly, where is the spark plug socket? I may have missed it.
    Building a tool roll is kind of fun…
    Thanks!
    RicklesssS in Oregon

The Rolling Hobo January 16, 2017 at 10:25 - Reply

Hiya Rick,

Thanks for your input! TBH I find Loctite essential on longer rides, especially on thumpers. I remember having to add thread locker on one bolt or another every week or two during our long ride through Russia and Mongolia. It seems that especially luggage rack and side stand bolts are particularly fond of loosening with vibrations.

The spark plug socket is just left and up of the middle, between the bits and the larger spanner. It’s the standard KTM toolkit socket.

6. rtwpaul January 16, 2017 at 14:50 - Reply

you might want to look at the leatherman ‘crunch’ as an item to switch your current leatherman with then carry a small set of needle nose, weight is almost identical for both items…jaws have a reasonable extension so you might not actually even need a set of needle nose.

The Rolling Hobo January 16, 2017 at 18:54 - Reply

Hiya Paul! I’ve had my eye on the Crunch for years but have so far not taken the plunge due to having a working SuperTool. But I think you’re absolutely right with this.

7. Tessier January 16, 2017 at 18:00 - Reply

No fuel line? I would think for the weight you might want to consider adding a 4ft section of fuel line to use as a siphon. Also my personal favorites are

Knipex 7 inch pliers more adjustable than an adjustable wrench. High quality and fits lots of bolt sizes from 10mm to axle nuts.

Wadsworth Mini Ratchet takes care of screw driver which weighs 472g
    Bit, Torx 30, 1 pcs, 8 g
    Socket adpater, 3/8” => 1/4”, 1 pcs, 20 g
    Spanner, ratchet, Bahco 1/4” , 1 pcs, 136 g
    Spanner, ratchet extender, Bahco 1/4” , 1 pcs, 44 g
    Spanner, ratchet, Bahco 1/4” , 1 pcs, 136 g
    Spanner, ratchet extender, Bahco 1/4” , 1 pcs, 44 g

So for a increase of 34 grams you get a few more bits and pieces that you may or may not need plus some extra organization. When you ditch the ones you don’t need you’ll most likely end up with a weight loss. since I weighed all 52 pieces.

I’m reevaluating my tool kit right now and look/trying to justify a motorcycle specific tool roll vs. just some cheap tool roll from amazon.

The Rolling Hobo January 16, 2017 at 19:05 - Reply

Hiya Tessier,

I do actually carry a section of fuel line, but it’s under spare parts, not tools and consumables 🙂 That article is coming up sooner or later too.

Knipex also has excellent locking adjustable pliers. Even the shorter models are really strong. I just bent back a brake pedal 180 degrees on dropped 690 a few weeks back with the 125 mm version. http://www.knipex.com/index.php?id=1216&L=1&page=group_detail&parentID=1368&groupID=1500

The Wadsworth Mini Ratchet looks very interesting, thanks for the tip! As for tool rolls, I think it’s near impossible to find something that’ll work perfectly. I will definitely look into sewing an ultralight and compact version of what I’m carrying now. The materials are heavy and low quality, but the folding flap is very handy when you have to put parts somewhere in the field. Keeping track of all the clutch cover bolts while replacing a burnt clutch on a muddy and rainy Russian field was nerve-racking .

8. Mark H. January 16, 2017 at 18:24 - Reply

Great gram-counting approach! I agree on the need for (blue) Loctite and applying it to every nut or bolt removed during any sort of maintenance. Without it on a long ride, you are absolutely guaranteed to lose nuts or bolts. Have seen it many, many times with newbie adv riders who neglect Loctite or don’t believe in it for some reason. Which is OK, I’ve been able to “sell” some of mine after they lose a nut or bolt in exchange for a few beers 🙂

The Rolling Hobo January 16, 2017 at 19:07 - Reply

Thanks Mark! I’ve learned the LocTite lesson the hard way too =D Besides, it is very light as consumables go. It’s the tire powder that I find pretty excessive in my kit at the moment….

9. Juha January 17, 2017 at 23:48 - Reply

Great and thorough article about tool set. Thanks for that.
    If you can’t take any items off then I guess you’ll have to make the tools lighter by drilling holes and grinding excess material off.
    1/2″ extension can handle the force with a few holes that you can produce with the 3/8″ wrench.
    Or just fabricate it yourself by replacing the middle part with pipe.
    Also the small wrenches will not brake with some holes in them.
    The “bits” can also be cut in half. The screws will brake before the bits.
    Your options are endless.
    This maybe only fine tuning but since you are counting grams…

The Rolling Hobo January 18, 2017 at 01:16 - Reply

Thanks Juha, that’s some pretty serious minimalism. Respect 🙂

10. Matt January 18, 2017 at 02:43 - Reply

Nice kit. Have you seen this chain breaker ? http://terra-x.com.au/chain-breaker/ I have one and it works well. It’s also very small.

The Rolling Hobo January 18, 2017 at 12:21 - Reply

Wow, the Terra-X looks really nice! Do you have an idea of the weight?

• Matt January 19, 2017 at 05:40 - Reply

157 Grams on my scale.

The Rolling Hobo January 23, 2017 at 11:12 - Reply

Thanks!

11. Manuel January 21, 2017 at 19:53 - Reply

Thanks for sharing!

As I’m just in the process of stripping my tools and happen to have a 690 as well ideal food for thoughts 🙂

Quick question, not sure if it fits though, but as you’ve also mentioned some spares and consumables I thought I might as well drop it. Do you take spare tubes as well/what you think of it and/or rely on rim locks instead?

I’ve seen way too many ripped of valves to get paranoid so I always carry at least one 21″ which adds a lot of weight of course.
    I’m considering rim locks instead but I’m not sure if I’m willing to go through the additional pain every time I need to patch the tube (never used rim locks so maybe I’m exaggerating here).

The Rolling Hobo January 23, 2017 at 11:18 - Reply

Hi Manuel, this article contains only consumables and tools. I have a separate category for spare parts in my inventory; the tubes fall there. I always carry an 18″ and 21″ light tube in case of catastrophic damage to the original tube. However, I try to patch it up as much as I can, before switching and buying a new one somewhere on the way.

I always use rim locks, as I like to keep the pressure pretty low for traction. The 500 has a lot of grunt, so it’ll spin the rim in the tyre for sure without rim locks. IMHO the rim locks do not add any real hassle to the tube change. Just make sure it pops into the tyre when you fit it, and you’re good to go. There are some excellent videos online illustrating this.

12. David January 26, 2017 at 00:34 - Reply

Love your toolkit. Gave me ideas for my own. One tip. Since every gram seems to count. Go for the Motion Pro fork seal cleaner. Works really well, takes one thousands of the space your seal cleaner uses and weighs near nothing 🙂

The Rolling Hobo January 28, 2017 at 19:48 - Reply

I agree, they’re also easier to store in the toolkit. I’ve ordered them and should receive them shortly.

13. Jeff January 27, 2017 at 00:47 - Reply

Hi, I was wondering about your selection of gear when you know you’re on a trip with a core group of two. Do each of you carry individual tool kits and spares, camping gear etc.? Are there some things that are shared to prevent redundancy?

The Rolling Hobo January 28, 2017 at 19:52 - Reply

Hi Jeff, even if I ride with a team, I always prepare for a solo ride. So I carry everything I need personally, and expect the same from my riding buddies. And BTW I’d never ever agree to share a tent with anyone except for my wife 🙂

14. Nicole Sterley February 10, 2017 at 05:21 - Reply

Excellent list of tools. Pretty much looks like my tool kit. One thing I have considered adding and have seen friends use it is JB Weld Quick steel. A friends bike fell over in the wind and the shifter busted into the case. It was 1 hour into a 450 mile 2 day ride. Someone had fresh JB weld quick steel and after a short wait and a little touch of oil he was fine for the next two days. I bet its still there. He used the leatherman file to make sure he got a good adhesion. So I give thumbs up to the heaviest tool as worth its weight in utility.

Cheers

15. Grace March 6, 2017 at 19:01 - Reply

And I thought I was the only one rolling with both blue and green loctite! Now feeling slightly less crazy.

The Rolling Hobo March 8, 2017 at 21:33 - Reply

Grace, congrats on your awesome ride. I’ll be keeping an eye. I know two thread lockers may be considered excessive, but I decided to also take the green, as it comes in a 5 ml bottle and weighs very little….and I like to keep my sprockets and rear shock where they’re supposed to be 😉

• Grace March 9, 2017 at 06:42 - Reply

Thanks Jussi! Your site’s been a rich resource in the planning stages – I’m heading off with a mosfet reg rec and few other useful modifications which are wholly to your credit. Other upgrades are likely to be executed when the relevant stock bits fall off (hopefully later rather than sooner!) Looking forward to following your Crimson Trails chronicles over the next few months too.

16. Steve J March 14, 2017 at 23:51 - Reply

I got my second bike ever, a 690 enduro r, a few months ago with vague ideas of overland touring. I stumbled across you guys recently and you’ve opened up a whole new world for me. Inspirational stuff! I’m going to enjoy this…keep it up

The Rolling Hobo April 5, 2017 at 14:22 - Reply

Thanks Steve! Best of luck with your new bike and all your adventures!

17. GB March 19, 2017 at 18:52 - Reply

Inspiration stuff, similar tool kit to what I have on my 701, I have the same mini multi tester on its way as got caught out without one before.

The Rolling Hobo April 5, 2017 at 14:23 - Reply

Thanks! I’d say it’s one of the more essential pieces of equipment.

18. Rupert April 4, 2017 at 00:42 - Reply

Awesome article! Lots to learn from here.

One observation; I carry an enduro star bike stand http://www.endurostar.com/ which I swear by. I’ve made a wider foot for it and added a better hook for the top that works a treat for lifting either the front and rear wheels off the ground. I know one can prop the bike up on a log or simply put it over it’s side but this works so damn well and is easy to fit in the luggage due to it’s shape – “Design fundamentals” satisfied 😉

The Rolling Hobo April 5, 2017 at 14:25 - Reply

Hiya Rupert, I’ve been looking into the Enduro Star bike stand, but decided against it as I’ve managed without it thus far. It does get tricky some time though 🙂

If I were to take one along, I’d probably fabricate one out of a carbon fibre tube though to save weight.

19. Peter May 15, 2017 at 08:16 - Reply

Awesome website! Instead of enduro star cut a short section of a leg off an aluminum walker that the old folks use. you’ve seen them the legs are extendable with pushbutton holes every inch or so. it is lighter and since they are about an inch in diameter you can store a stick of jb weld and other consumables or things within it. As observed from an old timer as he propped his bike up to do a chain adjustment.

The Rolling Hobo May 17, 2017 at 10:06 - Reply

Thanks for the tip Peter!

20. Bryan November 20, 2017 at 20:38 - Reply

Very enjoyable posts. I’ve really learned a lot. I just purchased my own ‘18 KTM 500 and looking to go lighter everywhere. This post is great and can’t wait to see what you’re carrying for spares.